Understanding interrelationships in business management is the foundation of every successful manager today. As non-economist this program will equip you with the necessary tools in the areas of Strategy, Finance and Leadership to take confident and professional action in matters requiring business management skills and to position yourself in the long term as competent leader.
Essentials in General Management CAS HSG
Development of Business Competencies in Strategy, Finance and Leadership for Non-Economists
This certificate is aimed at non-business-administration specialists in lower and middle echelon management who want to acquaint themselves with business subjects.
- Shape future-proof competitive strategies to position yourself and survive in contested markets.
- Initiate change processes and be capable of advancing them and bringing them to a professional conclusion.
- Know the fundamentals of double-entry accounting and analyze past events.
- Plan the financial future making use of key figures and prepare capital budgets.
- Develop your own specific management style and lead your team securely and confidently even in difficult circumstances.
Overall, this Executive Education program lasts 6-9 months, depending on the entry point, and includes:
- E-learning with e-mentoring as a preparation for the on-campus modules "Building Sustainable strategies" and "Driving Financial Performance". The e-learning starts approx. 5-6 weeks before the respective on-campus module and the time expenditure amounts to approx. 36 hours each.
- 3 on-campus modules in St. Gallen:
- June 25 – 27, 2019: Driving Financial Performance
- August 26 – 28, 2019: Leading with Energy and Focus
- December 4 – 6, 2019: Building Sustainable Strategies
- Individual Transfer Project with professional coaching, which has to be handed in three months after completion of the last module. The time required amounts to approx. 50h.
Content & Faculty
Driving Financial Performance - June 25 – 27, 2019
Understanding balance sheets and asking the pertinent questions – interpret key figures correctly and recognize risks early on
Tools of financial management – utilize the business plan as tool to successfully shape the future
Financial performance indicators – analyze and assess the success of strategic decisions
Leading with Energy and Focus - August 26 – 28, 2019
Develop your own management style – manage yourself and your team confidently and persuasively
- Effective and inspiring leadership – develop and communicate a common vision
Change management – overcome resistance and motivate your employees to stand behind a common goal
Building Sustainable Strategies - December 4 – 6, 2019
Strategies for business units – develop competitive strategies and tactics for contested industries
Implementing strategies – initiate, follow and conclude change processes
Building innovative business models – improve value creation and develop the business model
Tomi Laamanen, Prof. Dr. Dr., Chair of Strategic Management, Director of the Institute of Management, University of St. Gallen
Dr. Thorsten Truijens, Academic Director of the Finance and Controlling Certificate, Institute of Management, University of St. Gallen
Heike Bruch, Prof. Dr., Director of the Institute for Leadership and Human Resources Management, University of Gallen
How to apply
Are you interested? Then sign up for the executive education program „Essentials in General Management CAS HSG“. To do this, you must first create an account. Then you can go through the application step-by-step and submit. We look forward to your registration!
Executive education at the University of St.Gallen (HSG), one of Europe's leading business universities, provides you with an optimal preparation for the future. The University of St.Gallen is more than just an educational institution; it is a place of inspiration that stimulates you to think. You will acquire up-to-date knowledge that is of great practical relvance, and gain valuable insights. This will enable you to make an important contribution to social and economic progress and to your own personal development. "From insight to impact" is not just our message; it is a promise against which we can be measured.